Each assignment has two – three parts
Selecting an appraisal method requires an analysis of the amount and quality of input, the time available to complete the appraisal and the value the appraisal will have to the employee and the company.
1. Discuss the pros and cons of the following appraisal methods:
· Supervisor conducted
· Supervisor conducted with input from the employee
· Consolidated peer reviews.
· 360 degree appraisal.
2. What factors would you take into consideration when making the determination of which method to use? Explain your answer.
Some of the most well-known motivation theories include:
· Maslow’s Need Hierarchy Theory
· Douglas McGregor’s Theory X and Theory Y
· Frederick Herzberg’s Motivation-Hygiene Theory
1. Discuss how each of these motivation theories can be used in the performance management procedures.
2. What are the pros and cons of performance appraisals?
1. Discuss the different types of compensation.
2. When designing an incentive plan, it is common to base it on the operating cash flow or EBITDA. What are the pros and cons of using this type of metric for an incentive program?
3. How can a compensation method be used to assist with employee retention?
1. It is important that disciplinary rules be in writing and easily accessible to all employees. This will minimize the misunderstanding of the standards that are expected. Discuss what the rules should be relating to (i.e. health and safety).
2. What is the benefit of having a rule in place for these areas?
3. How often should the disciplinary rules be changed or updated?