Assignment: Legislation Comparison Grid and Testimony/Advocacy Statement
As a nurse, how often have you thought to yourself, If I had anything to do about it, things would work a little differently? Increasingly, nurses are beginning to realize that they do, in fact, have a role and a voice.
Many nurses encounter daily experiences that motivate them to take on an advocacy role in hopes of impacting policies, laws, or regulations that impact healthcare issues of interest. Of course, doing so means entering the less familiar world of policy and politics. While many nurses do not initially feel prepared to operate in this space effectively, the reward is the opportunity to shape and influence future health policy.
Select a bill that has been proposed (not one that has been enacted) using the congressional websites provided in the Learning Resources. Written work has to be APA 7th edition
Assignment 1: (1- to 2-page Comparison Grid;
Assignment 2: (1- to 2-page Legislation Testimony/Advocacy Statement)
For Assignment 1: Legislation Comparison Grid
Based on the health-related bill (proposed, not enacted) you selected, complete the Legislation Comparison Grid Template (below). Be sure to address the following:
· Determine the legislative intent of the bill you have reviewed.
· Identify the proponents/opponents of the bill.
· Identify the target populations addressed by the bill.
· Where in the process is the bill currently? Is it in hearings or committees?
· Is it receiving press coverage?
Assignment 1 :Legislation Comparison Grid Template
Use this document to complete the Legislation Comparison Grid (Assignment Paper 1) and Testimony/Advocacy Statement (Assignment Paper 2).
|Health-related Bill Name||
|Federal or State?|
|Status of the bill (Is it in hearings or committees? Is it receiving press coverage?)||
Assignment 2: Legislation Testimony/Advocacy Statement.
Based on the health-related bill you selected, develop a 1- to 2-page Legislation Testimony/Advocacy Statement that addresses the following:
· Advocate a position for the bill you selected and write testimony in support of your position.
· Describe how you would address the opponent to your position. Be specific and provide examples.
· Recommend at least one amendment to the bill in support of your position.
· Written work has to be APA 7th edition