MID TERM Assignment
1. Question: Choose one natural disaster and one terrorism disaster, each of which had a significant impact on the practice of emergency management and describe that influence.
2. Question: Homeland security as established in the aftermath of September 11th changed not only our government, but also our way of life. In what negative and positive ways has homeland security affected you personally?
3. Question: Is the function of homeland security maintained wholly by the Department of Homeland Security, or is this function shared among other governmental and non-governmental agencies? Explain your answer.
4. Question: What agencies have been transferred intact into the DHS structure? How, if at all, have their missions changed as a result?
5. Question: List and describe the various intelligence gathering methods.
6. Question: Do you think that the nature of the creation of the Department of Homeland Security in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks affected the all-hazards mission of FEMA? Why or why not?
7. Question: How do Federal agencies outside of DHS participate in Homeland Security? Give three examples to support your answer.
8. Question: Explain briefly how FEMA failed to garner lead agency status for the terrorism hazard.
9. Question: Explain in your own words what the Intelligence Community is and provide examples of IC members.
10. Question: Describe the role of the “3 Commissions” in light of pre- and post-September 11th knowledge about terrorist risk.