Effects of Supplement Timing and Resistance Exercise on Skeletal Muscle Hypertrophy.
In this assignment, you will perform an appraisal of three journal articles with respect
to the quality of their methodology for experimental controls and standardization of participant preparation. In short, what you are assessing is whether they have adequate experimental controls to reduce inter- and intraparticipant variability.The three journal articles are:1. CRIBB, P. and HAYES, A. (2006). Effects of Supplement Timing and Resistance Exercise on Skeletal Muscle Hypertrophy. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 38(11), pp.1918-1925.
2. Burke, L., Ross, M., Garvican-Lewis, L., Welvaert, M., Heikura, I., Forbes, S., Mirtschin, J., Cato, L., Strobel, N., Sharma, A. and Hawley, J. (2016). Low Carbohydrate, High Fat diet impairs exercise economy and negates the performance benefit from intensified training in elite race walkers. The Journal of Physiology.
3. Cox, G., Desbrow, B., Montgomery, P., Anderson, M., Bruce, C., Macrides, T., Martin, D., Moquin, A., Roberts, A., Hawley, J. and Burke, L. (2002). Effect of different protocols of caffeine intake on metabolism and endurance performance. Journal of Applied Physiology, 93(3), pp.990-999.
In your appraisal of each article, you should comment on
(i) methods to standardize participant preparation and experimental protocols that
you think are useful, and briefly why these are important
(ii) participant preparation and experimental protocols that you think are lacking,
if any, and briefly why these are important
(iii) whether the authors overall conclusions are therefore fully justified, and
(iv) with the results of each study and your knowledge of key concepts in sports
nutrition in mind, the practical implications that you would advise an athlete
a. Article 1 Cribb & Hayes: a university level rugby player in preseason training aiming to increase muscle mass
b. Article 2 Burke: a professional road cyclist who is thinking about adopting
a low carb high fat diet
c. Article 3 Cox: a triathlete who is looking to adopt an in-race fueling
For part (iv) above, you may choose to recommend or not recommend a strategy based on the data from the articles and your knowledge of the literature, but either way your decision should be justified. Your submission should contain references to key articles on study design and interpretation and on nutrition strategies in physiology sports nutrition.
References number are flexible.
References must be listed at the end of the document and numbered in the order that they appear in the text. In the text, citations should be indicated by the reference number in brackets.
1. Makela M, Witt K (2005) How to read a paper: critical appraisal of studies for application
in healthcare. Singapore Med J. 46(3):108-14
2. Hopkins WG, Hawley JA, Burke LM (1999) Design and analysis of research on sport
performance enhancement. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 31(3):472-85
3. Atkinson G, Nevill AM (2001) Selected issues in the design and analysis of sport
performance research J Sports Sci. 19(10):811-27