or this assignment, make sure you post your initial response to one of the two topics to the Discussion Area by the due date assigned.
To support your work, use your course and text readings and also use outside sources. As in all assignments, cite your sources in your work and provide references for the citations in APA format.
Discussion Question 1
The COVID-19 Pandemic has presented the nation and health care organizations with an unforeseen emergency. This type of situation requires all health professionals to be leaders in their communities.
1. Review this article https://gacc.nifc.gov/cism/documents/leadership.pdf
2. Review the ANA statement calling for a collaborative effort to respond to COVID-19 at this link https://www.nursingworld.org/news/news-releases/2020/american-nurses-association-calls-for-collaborative-effort-to-respond-to-the-coronavirus/
Answer these questions:
1. In your present health care organization how well prepared is the organization and the staff to respond to the pandemic?
2. What was the nursing leaders’ response to the crisis?
3. Relate the response to the theories you learned in this course and the Crisis Leadership article.
4. What else should be done to improve the response? What is the leader’s role in this improvement?
5. How are you responding to the pandemic as a health care professional and leader?
Discussion Question 2
Read Chapter 7 in your text Murray, E. (2017). Nursing leadership and management for patient safety and quality care. Philadelphia, PA.: F.A. Davis Company.
The following Web sites offer many resources Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) Tools
Society for Quality http://www.asq.org/learn-about-quality/quality-tools.html
Over the past 6 months, patients in the intensive care unit have experienced an increase in central line infections. The nurse leader and manager suspects that the increase is related to more central lines being inserted in the emergency department. A quality improvement (QI) team is being formed to identify the root causes of central line infections.
• Who should be on the QI team?
• What leadership theories and models would you use with this team?
• Outline the steps in the QI process to use in this situation.
• How would the QI team implement an activity to improve the infection rate, and how will the team know the activity worked?
• What Quality Improvement Tool would you use to visually display the outcomes over time to your team?
Citations should conform to APA guidelines. You may use this APA Citation Helper as a convenient reference for properly citing resources or connect to the APA Style website through the APA icon below.