Prepare a post that describes your understanding of microaggressions and the concept of privilege using the unit readings and Dr. Flora’s interview as points of reflection.
· Explain how the concept of White privilege can be expanded to include gender privilege, class privilege, or heterosexual privilege.
· Provide a personal example of how a person may experience privilege, based on one aspect of their identity and oppression based on another.
· Share whether you think the term privilege also applies to the region where someone lives, or the language or dialect he or she speaks, after listening to the interview with Dr. Flora. Explain why or why not.
Respond to the post of at least one other learner. Your response should be substantive and contribute to the conversation by asking questions, respectfully debating positions, and presenting supporting literature relevant to the topic. Please review the Faculty Expectations for any other requirements for peer responses.
This activity will help you achieve the following learning components:
· Discuss the concepts of microaggression, White privilege, and various ways in which the term privilege might apply to individuals and populations.
· Articulate one’s role in becoming sensitive to the characteristics and concerns of diverse populations by cultivating self-awareness and cultural competence.
· Apply counseling approaches that promote optimal health and well-being of sexual minorities.
· Discussion Participation Scoring Guide.
· Dr. Flora: Rural Stereotyping/Implicit Bias | Transcript.