Review your state Board of Nursing legal mandates and guidelines for education of patients and families:
Module A explores the professional nursing role as an educator. The Nurse Practice Act will be reviewed for licensure teaching expectations. Incorporating principles of teaching and learning to health care situations will be examined and research findings explored to promote patient education and health promotion.
1. Analyze the teaching function as an essential element of the professional role.
2. Incorporate principles of teaching and learning in health care situations.
7. Utilize nursing research findings related to patient education and health promotion.
• Bastable, S. (2013). Nurse as an educator: Principles of teaching & learning for nursing practice (4th ed.). Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett.
? Read Chapter 1-9.
? Review Appendix A.
• American Psychological Association (2009). Publication manual of the american psychological association (6th ed.). Washington, DC: Author.
• Review your state Board of Nursing legal mandates and guidelines for education of patients and families: TX BOARD OF NSG website https://www.bon.texas.gov/
• Explore the JCAHO standards for patient education: www.jcaho.org