1. Some items of material are capitalized; others are expensed. What is the difference between these two terms?
2. Explain the difference between capital expenditure budgets and operational budgets. In an ongoing operation, how many times in a fiscal year is each prepared? Which is usually prepared first? Why?
3. Preopening budgets usually include items such as funds for opening ceremonies and parties, advertising, and public relations. List several other important items that should be funded in a preopening budget. Why should the preopening budget be amortized, and over what period of time?
4. A disabled person wants a room on the top (suite) floor. According to ADA, must you accommodate that guest? The first alarm sounds (elevators become inoperative). How would you evacuate this disabled person from the top floor? (Hint: Visit http://www.evacchair.com on the Web.)
5. Define these terms: Inventory control In-room refreshment center Material classification Dual-purpose sleep equipment In-room safe
6. Explain the concept of using temporary storage when opening a hotel.
7. Visit a store that sells innerspring mattresses, a store that sells waterbeds, and a store that sells foam mattresses like the Tempur-Pedic mattresses. Lie down on each one, decide which one is more comfortable, and compare your decision with those of other students. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each mattress from an executive housekeeper’s perspective.
You can use the book to answer the questions. Ch4 DISCUSSION AND REVIEW QUESTIONS. Page: 81
Book Link: https://s3.amazonaws.com/arena-attachments/736911/d66d04e294668380cd7ba76e88749eca.pdf